Having an autistic child is not the end of the world--far from it. It is my hope that through this blog, at least a handful of people will get to understand that. My child is amazing, she brings us tremendous joy. We have good days & bad days, but we CHOOSE to focus on the good. Our belief is that by loving our daughter, giving her the most comfortable environment we can, and by most of all accepting her differences, she will continue to blossom--in her OWN way.

3/24/08

Seriously, Jenny

PhotobucketI just caught Jenny McCarthy's interview on E!'s Chelsea Lately show. Here is the link (bad language warning). Really now, it is frightening who we have speaking to the public about autism and supposedly representing "us."

She talks about how she asked Mormons to come pray for her "sick" son (and how when your child is sick you'll decapitate small animals, hmmm...). I wonder if this is before or after she discovered her child was a Crystal? To say that Ms. McCarthy was desperate for some type of hope for her and her son, is an understatement. I've never seen someone speak so frantically over their child's autism. No wonder she hopped onto the DAN bandwagon, and now is so 'into' TACA & Generation Rescue. One can only speculate what she may discover next, what group she'll become immersed in. Perhaps Dr. Carley will win her over?

We're not all screaming "HELP US!" At least we're not looking for the "help" you have been shoving down our throats for months. The help I want, is knowing that my school district has the proper resources and is giving my child all she needs to achieve her potential. The help I need is programs for my child and many others as they reach adulthood. I need help with transition from the school system, will my child have the opportunity to attend college? Will she be able to live independently, will there be housing options available to her? Is there vocational training available, and who will hire her? Will she be able to attain medical care, psychological services, etc. from reputable physicians? How will the world view an autistic adult in 10-15 years? If changes are not made, how many autistic children growing up today will be homeless in their 20's, 30's, or 40's?

She goes on to give the number to the White House, asking viewers to call and ask for the resignation of Julie Gerberding, CDC Director. Chelsea suggests telling the White House, "Julie Gerberding suck it hard!" and Jenny adds, "I was going to say aka the Devil." Nice. Later on, Jenny says she hopes "we create a major s**tstorm," over this issue. Lovely, now that's classy. I'm so glad that the public will look to Jenny and feel she represents all autism moms. I can only imagine what the media coverage will look like on that weekend in June when Jenny and her fellow Generation Rescue drones will descend upon the CDC. I wonder if their posters will have signs with the above mentioned quotes? Should be quite a circus.

The interview ends with Jenny stating that we (us autism moms) live in a kind of hell. Not me, no way, not by a long shot. Jenny, you want to know what hell feels like? For us, it was watching our child lay lifeless in the PICU. She had tubes coming and going, tests round the clock, she was essentially in a coma and no one knew why. We thought we were going to lose her. Jenny, that is hell, fearing that your child is going to die and you can do absolutely nothing about it, except pray every minute. Get some perspective. Life with autism is not this nightmare you are selling to whoever will listen to you. It's amazing that celebrities feel they can actually relate to moms in regular America. None of us can just go do a photo shoot to make some more money to cover our child's therapy. We don't have access to the press to speak up about our concerns and get funds raised toward what's really needed. You simply can't relate to us, and again, "we" don't live in a "kind of hell." And, besides, with your son "recovered," what exactly are you whining about?

In the very end, they both state that the government has said that vaccines can cause autism, as just decided in a recent court case. Really? Which court case was that, did I miss it?

6 comments:

Club 166 said...

Thanks for the link.

Education, vocational, housing, and medical support? Why does such common sense take a back seat to the notion of "cure"?

How many decades will be wasted in the pursuit of the holy grail of curing that which is incurable?

Joe

S.L. said...

Thanks Joe. Well said, perfect in fact. I wonder if we'll ever find the answers to those questions.

It's a sad state that we are in. I can't imagine that parents (regardless of if one is anti-vaccine, blames mercury, wants to do biomed, etc.) are not worried about their child's future. We like to follow the "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" mindset. Even if I felt I was "curing" my child or they were in "recovery," I don't know how I'd be able to overlook her needs and what the future might hold for her.

And they think we're the crazy ones?

Anonymous said...

I speak as an autistic. It's a sad state of affairs when parents feel the need to search for pseudoscientific snake oil 'cures' when they should be at home taking care of their kids. I'm glad my mom and dad appreciated me for who I am instead of what they expected me to be. It's a shame some parents view their perfectly healthy autistic children as 'damaged goods' just because they aren't like every other average joe.

Anonymous said...

Jenny McCarthy needs to be discredited. She's getting nearly as bad as John Best Junior (and that's saying something) and the worst part about it is she has some clout when it comes to getting air time. Then she plays the sensation card and the media follow on like puppies looking for a reward for behaving!

That's what this is all about - sensationalism. Idiots looking to make a statement and maybe pick up a few extra dollars in the process no matter what. And not giving a stuff that they are HURTING children on the Spectrum, and side swiping adults on the Spectrum as well. They don't care (the super bully in that respect is Best, but McCarthy's the one with clout unfortunately because she's got the friends to make it happen).

This is the point - THEY DON'T CARE. They think they do, but that feeling is false because what they believe is also false. We know what they say about living a lie, don't we?

S.L. said...

Alex,
Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate hearing firsthand from an autistic person. I am glad to hear your parents shared my same beliefs, supporting & appreciating you, for YOU. Hearing your perspective, that just furthers my feelings that I am doing the right thing. THANK YOU!

timelord,
Great points you bring up, I agree completely. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!!

Anonymous said...

My pleasure, S.L! :)

Photobucket