Having an autistic child is not the end of the world--far from it. It is my hope that through this blog, at least a handful of people will get to understand that. My child is amazing, she brings us tremendous joy. We have good days & bad days, but we CHOOSE to focus on the good. Our belief is that by loving our daughter, giving her the most comfortable environment we can, and by most of all accepting her differences, she will continue to blossom--in her OWN way.

3/6/08

Wow...A Reporter Got It Right (Vaccine Case)!

Kudos to The Macon Telegraph, and medical writer Marilynn Marchione (AP writer Kristen Gelineau and Mike Stobbe contributed).  This is a well-written piece on the "concession case," she did a great job explaining the case and showing both sides of the story.  It was nice to read a fair article on this.


******************

This news clip is one of the more positive I've seen run.  It shows parts of an autistic first-grader's speech session.  Granted, I could nit-pick a few points, but all in all, this falls on the positive side of autism in the media.  If I didn't know what autism was, this story would help educate me a bit, give me some understanding, and (most importantly!) not scare me.  

The ST explains what they are working on in the session, but what I really liked was when she warns the public not to "be so judgemental" if you see a child tantrumming, etc.  I appreciate that!


The link if the video isn't working for you: http://www.topix.net/health/autism/2008/03/coping-with-autism




No comments:

Photobucket