Having an autistic child is not the end of the world--far from it. It is my hope that through this blog, at least a handful of people will get to understand that. My child is amazing, she brings us tremendous joy. We have good days & bad days, but we CHOOSE to focus on the good. Our belief is that by loving our daughter, giving her the most comfortable environment we can, and by most of all accepting her differences, she will continue to blossom--in her OWN way.

4/20/08

Edible Awareness???

Pretzels?? Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Autism Awareness????

Has anyone seen these yet? Better yet, has anyone eaten one? Now I'm a big fan of pretzels, but I don't think I could bring myself to eat these. From the Bachman Company website:

Our 100 calorie packs are all natural, low in fat and cholesterol free. Solve your snacking puzzle with this good for you delicious pretzel. The Bachman Company has been and continues to be a proud sponsor and active supporter of Autism Speaks we are donating 5% of our proceeds from the purchase of this product to Autism Speaks.
Interesting to note, is that Bachman lists their gluten-free products, and guess what? These puzzle-piece pretzels apparently are not gluten-free. Is that ironic or what? Kind of like when Rice Krispies was involved in an "Autism Awareness" campaign.

The puzzle pins (which, it seems everyone from actors to coaches wants to wear), ribbons, magnets, even toothpaste (another irony, since the toothpaste was apparently not gluten-free either, and also contained fluoride, yet another supposed--and unproven, cause of autism), and jewelry were one thing. But edible puzzle-piece pretzels? Seriously? Exactly what kind of "awareness" will come from this?

I can only imagine what will be next...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say. People buy these?

I don't like the puzzle piece ribbons. I guess people like to show what their "cause" is.

I can't imagine buying these and my daughter seeing them. What would she think? She will never see the bag, I hope.

S.L. said...

I hear ya! Like so much of the other "awareness," people will buy them & feel good about themselves (see? I'm doing something to help autism). GRRR! Seriously--I can't imagine handing these to my daughter either. Here sweetie, some pretzels that are just like you (because, they want us to see our kiddos as puzzle pieces). I'm glad they aren't on the shelves here (yet)!!

Andrea said...

It is beyond ironic approaching hypocritical and absurd! I had a similar disconnect yesterday on Earth Day when my grocery passed me a booklet of "green coupons" printed on coated glossy paper that cannot be recycled. Among the featured products were single-use plastic water bottles and toxic detergent. It is amazing how long ignorance remains passable in the world of commerce and marketing. See my husband's blog oceanswavesbeaches.blogspot.com if you want to build awareness of green issues.

I guess it is impossible for us to be aware and informed on every hot topic that faces our culture.

Meantime, everyone in my family is loving the GF pretzels Glutino makes!

Bonnie said...

Oh my gosh, if that isn't trying to cash in on Autism Awareness, I don't know what is! That's just queer!

S.L. said...

Andrea: Yes, the irony is everywhere (& your example is RIGHT ON!). I will check out your husband's blog--thanks for passing it along!

I recently discovered Glutino pretzels--best things ever! :)

Bonnie D: Big time, right? Before long, we're going to have puzzle everything--let's see, pastas, chocolate bars, deodorant, the market is wide-open for it! I've already seen candles & soaps. If any of this money was immediately affecting adult & teen autistics (who I see as having the greatest need for services at this point), autistic children, and all the families, I might celebrate them. But alas, the funds will go to countless scientific & genetic studies, perhaps another sorrowful documentary, etc. So sad--to think of all that money, not helping the autistic individuals in the world.

Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

DON'T GET MAD...ROLL OVER WITH RIDICULOUS LAUGHTER!!!!

;-)

S.L. said...

Great advice, Estee!!! THANKS!! :)
I will write that on my memo board, for sure. Thanks again!

Photobucket