Having an autistic child is not the end of the world--far from it. It is my hope that through this blog, at least a handful of people will get to understand that. My child is amazing, she brings us tremendous joy. We have good days & bad days, but we CHOOSE to focus on the good. Our belief is that by loving our daughter, giving her the most comfortable environment we can, and by most of all accepting her differences, she will continue to blossom--in her OWN way.

4/7/08

I Am Also Kathleen



I haven't had the proper amount of time needed to truly digest the subpoena of Kathleen Seidel at Neurodiversity.com. Many others have written incredibly about it, and I have linked to them below. What I have been able to conclude about the subpoena, is that some people enjoy wasting paper, and worse, wasting the time of free citizens as well as judges. I have the utmost respect for what our founding fathers fought for--our freedoms, and I hold them dearly. I detest frivolous lawsuits, and I can now add ridiculous subpoenas (Kathleen is NOT being sued) in addition to that. Aside from seeking to silence and intimidate Kathleen (along with the long list of Autism Hubbers mentioned in paragraph #5), this subpoena also attempts to threaten her freedom of religion.

This subpoena is so far-fetched and has utter disregard to an American citizen's rights (freedom of speech, freedom of religion, to name two!), and is truly a fishing expedition, that at first glance one would assume it was a joke. Sadly, it is not a joke. Kathleen is having to take time out of her life, time better spent with family, friends, a hobby--whatever she chooses. She is forced to respond to the subpoena, and then wait to see what comes of it. There is a possibility she could incur major expenses as a result of this subpoena. This is very real, and the requests that Mr. Shoemaker makes are very absurd. I often felt that at least some on the DAN! side of things had a touch of conspiracy theorist in them. One needs only glance at a biomed message board to pick up on that. Lately, it becomes more obvious that the vast majority of them do, and it's not just a touch. So many appear to be full-fledged conspiracy theorists, having zero trust in any government agency or pharmaceutical company. They freely (without subpoenas) author blogs, books, and articles in newspapers and magazines. They are seen on various talk shows to speak on this distrust, promote their beliefs, speak out against vaccines, and increasingly appear in mainstream media's news coverage.

Somehow, they've connected the dots, and decided that we on the Autism Hub are all covert agents of the government, pharmaceutical companies, et al. They so hate that we are speaking out, that our children are thriving, and that we are finding joy in our life (autism and all!). They don't understand us parents, our autistic children, or the many autistic adults who are blogging. I imagine it is mostly fear over the dollars they are not getting from parents like me who have never been to a DAN! doctor. When we speak out, they may fear, perhaps others will follow suit, and that means dollars lost to the biomed industry. I can't think of any other reason for the complete paranoia they have over the Autism Hub, other than money. Especially when you consider that none of us have had the press (see above) that David Kirby, Jenny McCarthy, the Polings, and others have had. The one thing I keep wondering about is this: if they really are making such progress, in proving that the CDC is pure evil and vaccines are giving all our kids autism, then why the need for a subpoena like this? If "the tide is turning," then why are they all still so indignant, irrational, and suspicious?

Here's some wonderful writings I came across.

I took the "I Am Kathleen" from Stranger Than You Can Imagine. I think it's brilliant.

Orac has An open letter David Kirby and Dan Olmsted about the Kathleen Seidel subpoena, which I too would like to see Kirby & Olmsted's response. But, I won't hold my breath...

The Voyage has it ALL covered, nearly all the blogs that are talking about this are listed here.

9 comments:

Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Thank you for this and your phenomenal blog.

Marla said...

I just don't understand it either. It seems ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Great video. I know it takes time to do those and I appreciate what you did. I really like the embed player too.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I find myself on the same side of this issue as my old friend Orac . . .

As you know, I do believe that mercury in medication can cause harm and may actually have caused a significant number of "vaccine injuries." I believe that the current vaccine schedule is not safe and that, no matter what your overall thoughts about immunization, it's not hard to posit that giving shots later and slower might be less risky.

But, if money changes hands as the battles are being fought, full disclosure of compensation is not only fair but crucial to honest discourse. I have been severely critical of doctors like Paul Offit and others who have come to the full disclosure table late and reluctantly. How could I be anything but critical of attorneys or doctors who advocate for "my side" and do not disclose?

All My Best to You, Orac,

Jay

Liz Ditz said...

Thanks for the wonderful video.

I am one of the 100+ bloggers mentioned in item 5 of the subpoena.

I am keeping a running list of responses to the Seidel subpoena at I Speak of Dreams. I've added your blog.

Anonymous said...

Another post just went up that I thought was pretty good:

http://www.paotie.com/2008/04/09/i-am-kathleen-a-fight-against-neo-mccarthyism/

Fay said...

Really useful piece of writing, lots of thanks for your article.

Paula said...

It can't really have effect, I think this way.

zia sir said...

nice post
Stellar Toolkit for Data Recovery Crack

Photobucket