Having an autistic child is not the end of the world--far from it. It is my hope that through this blog, at least a handful of people will get to understand that. My child is amazing, she brings us tremendous joy. We have good days & bad days, but we CHOOSE to focus on the good. Our belief is that by loving our daughter, giving her the most comfortable environment we can, and by most of all accepting her differences, she will continue to blossom--in her OWN way.

4/9/08

Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due...

PhotobucketI can't believe I'd ever be applauding an act by either of these two gentlemen, but alas, here I am. David Kirby and Dan Olmsted don't agree with Kathleen Seidel's subpoena, and apparently have even urged Mr. Shoemaker to drop it. The two clearly support Ms. Seidel's First Amendment Rights, and I applaud them for coming forward and speaking out. You can read their entire reply on Respectful Insolence, following Orac's Open Letter to David Kirby and Dan Olmsted.

Left Brain/Right Brain and Natural Variation have posts on this as well.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Very much worth a good comment.

Thanks Dan. Thanks David.

Anonymous said...

I'm not so impressed. It was a private email, not a public statement. I also don't think people should be applauded for doing something that is right in the first place. I also note they say that they don't agree with Kathleen's opinions. I may have missed something but I have never seen her give an opinion, only facts. The bigger issue for me would be for them to condemn what Kathleen has uncovered and published on. My personal belief is that they are both paid hacks and are using this attack on Kathleen to provide some cover for themselves.

S.L. said...

cs:

I hear ya. I'm impressed (perhaps that's much too strong a word!) that they said anything at all, and that they are actually not siding with Shoemaker. It is interesting, how they seemed to miss one particular question Orac asked--who is paying them??? I have a feeling your personal belief is closer to the truth than anything else, too.

Anonymous said...

Their response was weak tea compared to the double shot of outrage that Olmsted and Kirby reserve for their favorite boogeymen.

Photobucket